Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reflections on the Creative Process

Isn't it strange how the work on a new project can be very frustrating or very rewarding?  And often so suspenseful?  Unless you are making the same thing over and over again there must be that element of suspense, where you don't know just how well this thing that you have envisioned is going to come out.

Last night before dinner I was working on yet another pair of Jalie #2908 jeans and got to the try-on stage.  Since this was very nice fabric from EOS, I breathed a sigh of relief as I realized they were going to be satisfactory.  Phew!  There was a good feeling of accomplishment that stayed with me throughout the night.  Often when a project doesn't work out I find I have to make up something else fairly quickly in order to restore my confidence in my ability.

Do other people go through these gyrations?

This brings me to my dilemma about blogging.  I have been sewing for 50 years and although I have always been passionate about the process, it was of necessity quite a solitary one.  Until the internet.  I am so glad to see the proliferation of sewers of all ages and abilities displaying their creations, but I often find them more intimidating than inspiring.  In fact, I held off starting a blog because of it.  I will never have the style of Carolyn (I drool) or Erica (I swoon) or many of the other ladies who have beautiful blogs out there but I will strive to improve my work as I go because I just cannot turn off my passion for working with textiles.



I will close with a couple of pictures of lovely daughter C in a costume she requested for a belly dancing recital.  The pattern was originally a generic Butterick skirt pattern which we altered, using some junky stuff from Joann's as well as leftovers from my stash.  The vest especially required quite a bit of custom fitting but overall I thought it came out well, considering what we started with.  I am always amazed at how a flat piece of fabric can turn into a well-fitting garment.(or not).  And that's why I will continue to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment