Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What I Wore...To A Meeting

 The city in Maine where I live has about 35,000 residents.  Not too big, not too small.  I  am currently on the school board and have been a city councilor in the past.  Being in the public eye, I like to look polished but not overly formal.  I have been surprised to discover that a lot of women do dress up, especially when they have to make a presentation before the board.  Often it's unmatched suits.  Casual, yet smart.:)).

So this is the outfit I chose for the meeting: Jalie sweater/jacket, Jalie tee, and Pamela's skirt. The sweater/jacket is made from French terry and very comfortable without being too casual.
Pamela's straight skirt pattern has become my go-to for instant gratification and the fitting tips are very useful for fitting other patterns as well.  I have adjusted it for petite sizing, but it does  need either a knit or stretch woven to be made up as is.  This skirt is made of stretch bengaline, something I got out of the bargain section at Joann's.  Occasionally, they do surprise me, but not often.

The "sewing dilemma" issues here:  sloping shoulders--I do have shoulder pads made up that go into almost everything I wear.  These have velcro on one side and hook up to corresponding velcro in the garment.  As I get older, I find these are more and more of a necessity and make me feel more confident.  Also, the skirt needs to be tapered more.  I have already done this once, but my rear end seems to be disappearing more each day!

These fitting issues do not overly discourage me; I just find them part of the challenge of fitting garments well for each person.

And finally, please notice my beautiful shoes!  What luxury--a birthday gift from my daughter who knows I love red shoes and these even have polka dots!  I find as I get older that I need real pops of color in my outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment