Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer's End: One Last Time for the M6559 Maxi

Well, I didn't get to wear it as much as I wanted to , but the M6559 maxi dress was something I had to try , given all the great reviews out there. Today the weather was very mild so I put it on for what is probably the last time.  There are certainly many beautiful versions out there now.

I cut out a 10 in the shoulders grading out to a 14 at the hips for safety.  I had to do quite a bit of fiddly fitting with this ITY from Spandex House in NYC.  Of course it wouldn't hold a press and "grew" by the minute.  I found the fabric to be clingy in all the wrong places, something I certainly don't need. I had to take large darts in the back to give some shape, probably about 4 inches total.  However, this is a common adjustment for me anyway.

This is how I wore it out in public most of the time with this bolero from Pamela's Patterns. This is my go-to shrug for covering up my old-lady underarms.  Trust me, you don't want to see them. So I either wear a shrug or drape a shawl as artfully as possible. This is actually a large part of my Sewing Dilemma:  my husband and I go to a lot of evening functions and dances.  It's hard to look glamorous if your arms are covered.

Anyway, I hope people are still wearing the 6559 maxi next summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment